Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>,Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>,Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>, olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk,Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 22:16:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> Do we not make some headway towards that with the work on pgxs?
>>
>> Build system changes or an installer project aren't going to do anything
>> about the organizational issues that we're facing.
>
> We almost need someone just to help manage the add-on stuff, and the job
> is so large we almost need a full-time guy from one of the companies
> supporting us.  (Please don't look in my direction.)  :-)

Huh?  Shouldn't the project maintainers manage the add on stuff?  Or are
you meaning something that I'm not cluing into?

I *think* Peter is more refering to 'infrastruture' ... for instance, in
KDE's case, their "central bug tracking system" includes all of the
various sub-projects ... so if you want to report a bug for KDE, you go to
their bug tracking system, and assign it to one of the "projects" ...

For instance, I run KDE ... when I install kdemultimedia out of FreeBSD
ports, that includes a sub-project/application called noatrun ... when I
go to the bug tracking system for KDE, I submit a bug that is not assigned
to 'kde', but to noatrun specifically ... but it is all at the KDE web
site, not at a noatrun project page ...

Think of it in terms of going to pgFoundry and being able to view all bugs
with all applications, or click on a 'submit bug report' link without
having to go find the specific application first ...

----