Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 16:05:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Jan Wieck wrote:

> On 8/14/2004 11:25 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Robert Treat wrote:
>>
>>> The logic that says we are promoting a feature of the "postgresql project"
>>> (replication/win32) and that we should give people the best tool for the
>>> job even if it is commercial (mammoth/powergres)
>>
>> The PostgreSQL project doesn't have replication, Slony is an addon
>> developed by Afilias and provided open source to the community ...
>
> Wrong!
>
> Slony is BSD, Copyright PGDG, hosted on gborg. And it allways has been. Could
> you please explain the difference between the PostgreSQL project and the
> Slony project with respect to property ownership? I fail to see one myself.

Sorry, I wish I could claim English as a second language, cause I
definitely suck at it ...

The Press Release we are currently looking at ... is it a Product
Announcement, or is it a State of the Union?

As a Product Announcement, the focus should be on the *product* we are
releasing, which is PostgreSQL 8.0.0 ...

As a State of the Union, we should be addressing how the project is moving
forward, including "support software" like Slony ...

I'm not *for* including 'support software' in a Product Announce, which is
what I thought we were working towards ... what does this new version
provide. It does not provide Slony, it does not provide plPHP ... it does
provide BGwriter, it does provide Nested Transactions, it does provide
native Win32, it does provide PITR ...

Now, Josh posted earlier an 'brief' of what he envisions as the 'support
software' paragraph, which I have no problems with ... but I think that,
for instance, the 'blurb' about replication should at least run something
like "several replication solutions, with the latest to enter the field
being Slony-1" ... even that sort of wording kinda bothers me, but
hopefully by stating 'several', ppl don't focus on Slony as being 'the one
and only' ...

----