Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>,Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-13 22:58:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> I also think it's important because this year at OSCON we heard
> repeated remarks of "we're using PostgreSQL, and you can quote me on
> it."  That's new, and it needs to be nurtured.  The primary way to
> nurture that in the business climate is to say it many more times,
> preferably over loudspeakers -- i.e. in press releases.

I've been to several conventions and exhibitions of highly varying kind,
and I've never heard anyone say, "we would like to use PostgreSQL, but
our misinformed boss won't allow it".  It's always about, when is this
feature coming out, I would like to use it if you only had that, I
would like to use it but I hear it's hard to administer, how does it
compare to MySQL, how do you do replication, does it run on Windows.
All these questions would be beautifully answered if we just report
about the features.  None of these questions would be answered if we
talked about what level of corporate sponsorship we have.  Those are
the facts I can give you.  If you have a different experience, maybe we
need to reanalyze the market before going further.

--
Peter Eisentraut