Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 04:40:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Friday 13 August 2004 21:46, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have replied with my personal opinion in another email.
>
> Below you have clearly expressed your opinion on the matter and now we
> should decide as a community if we should follow your suggested
> approach.

Joshua's suggested approach opens a whole can of worms that has been hashed
out multiple times before. We provide different avenues for commercial
solutions to get they're word out to our community (weekly news and -announce
are two), but this doesn't mean that we have to give them space in every
avenue (like the home page or a community press release). If we find that a
promoting a commercial solution fills a need of the community we will do so,
but it is at our discretion. Otherwise yes, proprietary solutions are second
class citizens in this community, but you are not shunned by any means.

> > However, I also believe that Mammoth Replicator would deserve equal
> > mention, especially since Mammoth Replicator is more mature and they
> > really are different products that serve a similar but not identical
> > purpose.
> >
> > Also specifically for 8.0 it may be of interest to note that Slony won't
> > currently run on what is about to be our most popular platform, Windows.
> > However Mammoth Replicator will.

While this is true as you have described it, it is worth noting that 1) Slony
can run on a different machine than the database, so should be able to
replicate to/from windows machines as well. 2) The codebase is small enough
(and makes use of enough internal pgsql features) that porting it to windows
should not be out of the relm of possibility, and I wouldn't be surprised if
that happens before 8.1

> > So in answer to your second question, I would say no I don't believe
> > that it effects the issue. If there is an OSS component that serves the
> > same purpose by all means reflect that. I just feel that we may be
> > potentially ignoring a very important piece of the community by not
> > highlighting closed source products that utilize PostgreSQL.
> >
> > I would say, either promote all relevant add on software or promote none.

So to mention slony in any way we have to mention mammoth replicator, erserver
from pgsql inc, erserver from gborg, rserv, dbmirror, usogres, pgpool,
pgreplicator, pgcluster, and dbbalancer? Thats just ridculous. Oh, I better
mention Clusgres somehwere in here too...

Robert Treat

--
Robert Treat
Build A Better Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL