Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-13 21:13:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:40:53PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> conveying actual information to the public. The mention of corporate
> involvement is going to make everyone yawn. It will be of brief
> interest to those so-called market analysts, but it will do absolutely
> nothing for our users and potential users.

I couldn't disagree more. The actual users will get no benefit
except other potential users converting. But the potential users get
a great deal of benefit: some sort of evidence for their bosses that
PostgreSQL is not some strange nutbar thing that "nobody" uses.

That last problem is not nothing, as I can attest.

> Who cares about business momentum anyway?

Plenty of people. See the section in
<http://www.paulgraham.com/icad.html> about why someone would pick
Java instead of other things for part of why.

In spite of Graham's argument, in our case worrying about people who
can use the technology is not foolish. For one, if you can't find
any DBAs, you're never going to use that database engine for your
product.

This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
--Dennis Ritchie