Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-13 03:35:19
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Dan Langille wrote:

> In support of Bruce's point, why should we be promoting commercial
> products?  That should be left to the commercial entities.  Let them
> spend their resources on that.

IMHO ... I would think that 8.0.0 brought enough to a press release to be
able to stand on its own ... I question not that we don't promote
commercial products, but that we are promoting anything but that which we
are releasing: PostgreSQL RDBMS 8.0.0 ... anything else draws focus *away*
from that ...

We are *not* releasing Slony ... nor is Slony "the first replication
solution" ... hell, it isn't even the first *open source* replication
solution, as I believe that pgReplication has that distinction ...

Replication for PostgreSQL is *not* a new thing ... its not something that
is first available in 8.0.0, but has been available since 7.2 ... if it
were something new, fine, touting that we've finally got a replication
solution is good.  But replication is *old news*, plain and simple ...

----