Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-12 21:49:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> Well -- and although I am notably biased it does seem that it is not
>> quite correct to announce Slony as part of version 8. Slony is not "the"
>> PostgreSQL Replication solution. It is one of many as many have (not
>> just myself) noted.
>>
>> To be fair :) the only thing that makes Slony notable for PostgreSQL is
>> that it is Open Source. There are other replication systems out there
>> that have been working for some time.
>
> Uh, and we are an open source project --- Slony being "open source"
> seems like a very notable distinction to me.

Yes, Slony is an Open Source project ... it is also one of many
Replication Solutions for PostgreSQL, so if you are going to mention one,
you should highlight mention them all ... by focusing on one, you are
giving it a higher, semi-official, standing which will give readers the
impression that it is *the* PostgreSQL Replication, not one of many ...

----