Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-12 19:32:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> Overall, I would *love* to have someone take a stab at a single, 4-5 line
>>> "expanded corporate participation" paragraph that mentions most companies.
>>> The press is really interested in knowing what companies back PostgreSQL.
>>> Also, it helps drum into reporters that PostgreSQL is not a single-company
>>> project.
>>
>> Agreed on justification, and about the "4-5 line para" ... just your
>> outline seemed to have several 'paras' focusing on it :)
>>
>> Why not attribute the features themselves when you list them?  Who
>> sponsored what?
>>
>> Also, the PR should be focused around what we are releasing, not side
>> projects ... Slony-I isn't part of this release, and, IMHO, isn't
>> appropriate as part of the PostgreSQL Server press release ... they should
>> be doing their own Press Release for that.  Focus on what *we* are
>> releasing, not what another project is releasing ...
>
> But we need to share our visibility with relivant child projects.

But this comes back to promoting some projects as being more important
then others, bestoying(sp?) a pseudo-official status on them ...
pginstaller, IMHO, makes sense since its pretty much a requirement for
anyone wishing to use Pg 8.0.0 on Windows ...

If replication for PostgreSQL was something newly available, then not a
big deal, but it isn't even something that is new, nor has been for over a
year now ...

----