Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-12 21:03:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Marc,

> But this comes back to promoting some projects as being more important
> then others, bestoying(sp?) a pseudo-official status on them ...
> pginstaller, IMHO, makes sense since its pretty much a requirement for
> anyone wishing to use Pg 8.0.0 on Windows ...

Yep.   That's the way the mainstream press works; they're not interested in
technical merit of individual projects, they are interested in what's
currently buzzword-compliant.   Replication is sexy, HA is sexy, PITR is
sexy, high performance is sexy, enterprise Java is sexy.   A lot of other
features and add-ons which are very valuable to the community are not
interesting to the general press.  For the Press Release, which is designed
to go to reporters, we need to pack it densly with stuff that's going to
appeal to them.

> If replication for PostgreSQL was something newly available, then not a
> big deal, but it isn't even something that is new, nor has been for over a
> year now ...

And as you recall, we mentioned eRServer repeatedly; there was an eRServer
press release, followed by mentions in the next 2 general PostgreSQL
releases.

--
-Josh Berkus
 "A developer of Very Little Brain"