Re: stress testing and performance monitoring

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Raphael Bauduin <raphael(dot)bauduin(at)be(dot)easynet(dot)net>,pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stress testing and performance monitoring
Date: 2004-08-12 17:27:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

First off, you'll want to subscribe to, and migrate this discussion to, the

> I am migrating a database to postgresql, with a data schema change.
> I'd need to do some stress testing (on the db design I have, not
> a general test a la TPC). I'm just starting to look at this,
>  and would appreciate any advice on:
> - existing tools (I've seen,
>/ but still need to test them)

Check out Jan's port of TPC-W on pgFoundry, and OSDL has their DBT-1,2,3

> - links and docs to read on db stress testing

General industry literature?

> I guess the most significant measure is the time needed to complete
> operations (read, insert, delete), but I guess other measurements are
> advisable. I also wonder what I should measure server side. I've read the
> docs on pg_stat*
> (
>-STATS-VIEWS-TABLE), but I don't know how I should interpret results, and
> what I should really pay attention to.

Well, you'll want your tool to measure the completion time of various tasks
and compile it.

Is this on 7.4 or 8.0?

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions