Re: Request for download stats on release

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request for download stats on release
Date: 2004-08-12 01:55:16
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

>> These download counts would be completely random anyway. Most people get
>> their dose of PostgreSQL via an OS distributor.
>
> Sure, but the download counts just following a new release would give us
> a reading on enthusiastic real users --- ie, people who are interested
> enough to download a new major release as soon as it's available.
>
> However, this is probably moot given the point that we won't get
> cooperation from the larger mirror sites.

Why not add something like what pine does? when you start up a new
release of pine, the first time, there is an option to send an email
letting them count # of users ... its totally optional ...

Maybe have an extension on initdb so that if run from a terminal, it
prompts the installer for whether they want to send in a simple email
letting us know its being used ... ?

Or something like that ... something both visible and that defaults to
'opt-out', not opt-in ...

----