Re: PITR on Win32 - Archive and Restore

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: markir(at)coretech(dot)co(dot)nz
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR on Win32 - Archive and Restore
Date: 2004-08-11 02:08:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

OK, I would like to get a 100% solution here. The change of / to \
really only handles part of our problem, and doesn't deal with
directories with spaces like "Program Files".

We need a 100% solution for Win32 for this. I know we have been around
with the quote test but we need to keep going. initdb and pg_ctl had
similar problems but we got it working 100% after some effort, and we
need to do the same here.

OK, as a data point, why does this work on XP using a CMD.EXE window:

C:\Program Files>echo > "a b"

C:\Program Files>copy "a b" "c d"
1 file(s) copied.

C:\Program Files>copy "c:/program files/c d" "e f"
1 file(s) copied.

C:\Program Files>copy "c:/program files/e f" "c:/program files/g h"
1 file(s) copied.

C:\Program Files>cmd /c copy "c:/program files/e f" "c:/program files/g h"
1 file(s) copied.

I don't think we actually need the backslash conversion. I do think we will end
up with a different GUC value for WIN32 PITR logging.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us