Re: Add Missing From?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add Missing From?
Date: 2004-08-09 02:48:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert, Tom,

> I think you're wrong on both counts --- we do support UPDATE FROM, and
> it's not in the spec.

I can verify that it's not in SQL92. Unless you've got a place they added a
different syntax in 99 or 2003, Robert?

> What we don't have is an equivalent syntax for DELETE, and you're right
> that we probably ought to offer that before we deprecate add_missing_from.

Hmmm. What would that look like?

DELETE FROM table
{FROM | WITH | USING | ?? }
WHERE ...

I think we don't have this mainly because, what word do we use?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions