Re: Make psql version aware; hide tablespace from older versions

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Make psql version aware; hide tablespace from older versions
Date: 2004-08-07 22:51:02
Lists: pgsql-patches

It's nice, but currently there are a lot of ways in which psql is broken
regarding older server versions. We should be caring about all of them
(ideal), or about none (the current situation).

There have been proposals in the past about making that happen. You
could investigate that (please do -- I'd love to have a cross-version
psql, in the same way we have a cross-version compatible pg_dump). The
way of your patch is certain to lead into a mantainance nightmare :-(

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:20:19PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> + if (pset.version < 700500000) {
> + fprintf(stderr, _("This server version (%d) does not support tablespaces.\n"),

<Schwern> It does it in a really, really complicated way
<crab> why does it need to be complicated?
<Schwern> Because it's MakeMaker.