Problems with charsets, investigated...

From: Alexandre Aufrere <alexandre(dot)aufrere(at)inet6(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems with charsets, investigated...
Date: 2004-08-06 14:43:35
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Hello,

I am using Postgresql 7.4.2 and its JDBC drivers, straight out from a FC2,
along with JDK 1.4.2 from Sun.
I use the JDBC driver in a web app using Enhydra appserver. Java correctly
sets its file.encoding property to the charset specified in the LANG
environment variable. However, it appears that whatever i set this
variable to, the JDBC driver seems to use UTF-8.

I have digged into the code, and seen that in the
AbstractJdbc1Connection.java class, the encoding is always forced to
"UNICODE" (therefore forcing UTF-8 on Java side).
>From that, i patched the code to correctly use the file.encoding system
property to guess the charset.

As i didn't dig very long, and as it seems from what i see in cvsweb at
gborg that all this stuff could have changed deeply, i am not sure that
this would be useful to you. However i downloaded the latest dev builds at
jdbc.postgresql.org, and it seems the bad behaviour is still there.

So, did i miss something somewhere ? Are you interested in that (frankly
quite ugly) patch ?

Regards,

Alexandre Aufrere

pgsql-jdbc by date

Next:From: Kris JurkaDate: 2004-08-06 16:05:54