initdb - Error FATAL: shmat(id=1179648) failed

From: Evandro Spader <evspader(at)ig(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: initdb - Error FATAL: shmat(id=1179648) failed
Date: 2004-08-03 22:40:12
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I am trying to (for the first time) setup PostgreSQL
version 7.4.3) on windows 98.
I have cygwin version 1.5.10 installed and running.

However, when I give "initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data"
command in a cygwin window, I get an error "initdb failed"

$ initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be
owned by user "EVANDRO".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 10
selecting default shared_buffers... 50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database
in /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/1... FATAL: shmat
(id=1179648) failed: Invalid argument

initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/var/lib/pgsql/data"

Comments:

The cygserver is running in other DOS window
(according "How to start Cygserver" in cygserver.README)

Checking the most recent posts on the postgresql
mailing list (apparently this error happens only in
Windows 98/Me), I try modify the cygserver.conf:

kern.srv.sharedmem no
kern.ipc.semmns 100

But dont works....

Any pointers ? It will be great help!

Voce quer um iGMail protegido contra vrus e spams?
Clique aqui: http://www.igmailseguro.ig.com.br
Ofertas imperdveis! Link: http://www.americanas.com.br/ig/