Re: Version Numbering -- The great debate

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Version Numbering -- The great debate
Date: 2004-07-31 22:43:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> What was the rule for increasing the first number after just before
> 7.0?

That was just to avoid having to release a 6.6.6, which Jan had clearly
been working towards. :-)

Seriously, major version jumps correspond to epoch-like changes, like
when the code moved out of Berkeley, or when we switched from bug
fixing to adding features.  Maybe the next epoch would be after a
hostile takeover of firebird.  But right now I see no epoch change,
just a potential for confusing users.  Consistency and humbleness can
be a virtue.

--
Peter Eisentraut