Version Numbering -- The great debate

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Version Numbering -- The great debate
Date: 2004-07-31 20:40:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Folks,

Well, we're past feature freeze and with one reservation we know what's in the
next version.   After talking to several people at OSCON, I want to revive a
discussion:  whether this is 7.5 or 8.0.  We tabled that discussion in April
pending a feature list.

Even if Savepoints don't make it, we'll still have:

Win32 Port
LRU/Background Writer/Lazy Vacuum
PITR
Tablespaces
AutoVacuum in backend
$$dollar_quoting$$
Re-typing columns
New PL/perl
CSV import/export

This is more features worth mentioning than we've ever had in a single release
before -- and if you consider several add-ons which have been
implemented/improved at the same time (Slony, PL/Java, etc.) it's even more
momentous.   If this isn't 8.0, then what will be?

I talked to a few of our people at OSCON who agreed with me.   We'd need to
settle this before we officially enter beta.   Responses?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions