Re: Improvements to PostgreSQL

From: Suresh Tri <trisuresh(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)in>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au
Subject: Re: Improvements to PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-07-26 07:09:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I am already a member of hackers group and I get all
the messages posted to the group. In fact I get 2
copies of each!! I think I subscribed twice. But I am
unable to send messages to the group.

Here are the feature list which we are planning to
implement. This list is obtained by comparing the
features of Oracle 8i and Postgresql 7.4 . We know
that a lot more work has to be done in finding the
exact features and the way to implement them. Anyway
this is our initial list :

Our basic idea is to divide the task of migrating from
Oracle to postgresql in 3 parts
1. Automation of migration from Oracle to postgresql
:- there is already the tool ora2pg - but we came to
know that a lot of things have to be improved to
totally automate it.

2. Core functionality add-ons to postgresql :-
-Table joins
-Java stored procedures
-Backup and recovery (incremental backup/restore)
-Query optimization
* Indexing techniques
* Star query optimization
- Data Types
* BLBL
* Images
* Long
Some of the above features are already present, but
may not be complete(as compared to Oracle).

3. Application compatibility
-Oracle Compatible JDBC driver
-PL/SQL Compatibility
* Named parameter
* Parameterized Cursors
* Output Paramters
-Query compatibility
* Oracle DML/DDL Compatibility
* Behavioral differences like null handling
* Nested Queries
* Manual Optimization Hints

I know that this list is not totally explainative, but
we will provide you further details as we investigate
deeper in this regard.

All your sugestions are welcome. Please help us to
implement these features.
Our aim is to make postgresql enterprise level.

Thanks,
Suresh

--- Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote: > I
am forwarding this to hackers on behalf of some

___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun! http://www.allnewmessenger.com