Re: [HACKERS] 7.5 release notes

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 7.5 release notes
Date: 2004-07-26 01:43:40
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> >  For me, clarity and
> > candor gain a lot more credibility than trying to cover over missing
> > functionality in the past.  I am not saying we have to be so honest that
> > we bash PostgreSQL, but in cases where we adjust wording to try to
> > prevent ourselves from looking bad, it is best to be honest and clear
> > about our limitations.  I think in the long run it gains us lots of
> > credibility (and ultimately volunteers).
> >

> I see this as merely a half-full/half-empty viewpoint issue.
>
> Honesty and clarity are wonderful things and I subscribe to them. Using
> them only to describe your own viewpoint is not a reasonable point to
> make in a hopefully rational discussion about writing style...
>
> I'll go back to my docs now, but I guess we may relive this again when
> you see some of the honest, clear and positive changes I am suggesting.
> :)

I wasn't suggesting yours were dishonest.  I was saying that I was
aiming for the clearest style whether is makes PostgreSQL look good or
not.  I figured saying "in the past you had to do X" was clearer than
saying "you don't have to do X anymore".

I am, of course, am open to the community's feedback on this.