Re: pgxs: build infrastructure for extensions v4

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgxs: build infrastructure for extensions v4
Date: 2004-07-25 22:20:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Fabien COELHO wrote:
> Please find attached another new version of a patch which provides a
> working infrastructure for pg extensions. I hope it addresses all of
> Peter's comments. I'll be away for the next 3 weeks, so if minor
> changes are required it would be best if you could proceed without
> me...

This patch breaks building outside the source tree in a very elaborate
and obvious way. Unfortunately, this is all tied together so I haven't
figured out yet if it can be fixed easily.

Also, the use of the install targets is a bit strange
(install-all-headers install libpgport.a). I would simply not bother
and install everything all the time. However, those who advocate the
install-all-headers target may want to propose a different scheme.

> I updated all contrib makefiles so that they can be used either the
> standard way after a configure, or the new way without needing a
> configure but with an already installed postgreSQL. Just try them
> with
>
> "cd contrib/foo ; make USE_PGXS=1 install"
>
> *AFTER* postgresql has been configure, compiled and installed. It
> should be compiled and installed wrt to the first "pg_config" which
> is found in the path.

This is redundant. I think by now I'm looking for a patch that does not
touch contrib at all (except perhaps contrib-global.mk). Much of the
trouble arises from being too clever around there. We're trying to
allow external modules to build, not internal ones.

--
Peter Eisentraut