Re: pgxs: build infrastructure for extensions v4

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>,PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgxs: build infrastructure for extensions v4
Date: 2004-07-25 22:20:48
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Fabien COELHO wrote:
> Please find attached another new version of a patch which provides a
> working infrastructure for pg extensions. I hope it addresses all of
> Peter's comments. I'll be away for the next 3 weeks, so if minor
> changes are required it would be best if you could proceed without
> me...

This patch breaks building outside the source tree in a very elaborate
and obvious way.  Unfortunately, this is all tied together so I haven't
figured out yet if it can be fixed easily.

Also, the use of the install targets is a bit strange
(install-all-headers install libpgport.a).  I would simply not bother
and install everything all the time.  However, those who advocate the
install-all-headers target may want to propose a different scheme.

> I updated all contrib makefiles so that they can be used either the
> standard way after a configure, or the new way without needing a
> configure but with an already installed postgreSQL. Just try them
> with
>
> 	"cd contrib/foo ; make USE_PGXS=1 install"
>
> *AFTER* postgresql has been configure, compiled and installed.  It
> should be compiled and installed wrt to the first "pg_config" which
> is found in the path.

This is redundant.  I think by now I'm looking for a patch that does not
touch contrib at all (except perhaps contrib-global.mk).  Much of the
trouble arises from being too clever around there.  We're trying to
allow external modules to build, not internal ones.

--
Peter Eisentraut