Re: pgxs: build infrastructure for extensions v4

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>,PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgxs: build infrastructure for extensions v4
Date: 2004-07-25 22:20:48
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Fabien COELHO wrote:
> Please find attached another new version of a patch which provides a
> working infrastructure for pg extensions. I hope it addresses all of
> Peter's comments. I'll be away for the next 3 weeks, so if minor
> changes are required it would be best if you could proceed without
> me...

This patch breaks building outside the source tree in a very elaborate
and obvious way.  Unfortunately, this is all tied together so I haven't
figured out yet if it can be fixed easily.

Also, the use of the install targets is a bit strange
(install-all-headers install libpgport.a).  I would simply not bother
and install everything all the time.  However, those who advocate the
install-all-headers target may want to propose a different scheme.

> I updated all contrib makefiles so that they can be used either the
> standard way after a configure, or the new way without needing a
> configure but with an already installed postgreSQL. Just try them
> with
> 	"cd contrib/foo ; make USE_PGXS=1 install"
> *AFTER* postgresql has been configure, compiled and installed.  It
> should be compiled and installed wrt to the first "pg_config" which
> is found in the path.

This is redundant.  I think by now I'm looking for a patch that does not
touch contrib at all (except perhaps  Much of the
trouble arises from being too clever around there.  We're trying to
allow external modules to build, not internal ones.

Peter Eisentraut