Re: Converting a plperlu function to a plpgsql function

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: devin(at)synapticvision(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting a plperlu function to a plpgsql function
Date: 2004-07-22 19:09:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

--- Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> wrote:
> Devin Whalen wrote:
> > First line:
> > my @active_tables=split(/,/,$tables);
> >
> > Is there anyway to split a variable like the perl
> split above?
>
> I'm no perl guru, but in 7.4 I believe this does
> what you're looking for:
>
> regression=# select string_to_array('1,2,3',',');
> string_to_array
> -----------------
> {1,2,3}
> (1 row)
>
> > Second line:
> >
> > if ($r=~/^-([0-9]?)([A-z_]+)/)
> > {
> > my $locid = $1;
> > my $table = $2;

PostgreSQL doesn't offer capturing parentheses. The
regex library does offer that, but no-one has yet done
the coding to bring that functionality into
PostgreSQL.

You could do it in two steps:
1. Test using a regular expression
2. locid := substr(r,1); table := substr(r,2,1-len(r))
(better check the syntax on those).