Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, markw(at)osdl(dot)org, kn(at)mgnet(dot)de, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery
Date: 2004-07-19 16:35:05
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> * Documentation is, um, lacking. (One point in particular is that I
> >> inserted the recovery.conf.sample file into CVS, but did not fill in
> >> the patch's lack of attempt to install it anywhere.)
>
> > I figure it should go in share like the other sample files, and tell
> > people to copy it to /data and modify it for recovery.
>
> It should certainly go to /share as a .sample file. I was thinking that
> initdb should perhaps copy it into $PGDATA (still as .sample, not as
> .conf!) so it'd be right there when you need it.

I think /share is best. I see other *.share file that aren't used until
you rename them and move them to the right directory, and
recovery.conf.sample seems the same. I think having the sample at the
top of data when for most people it will be unused is strange.

> >> Perhaps the last point is really a backup-process issue. AFAICS there
> >> is no good reason for a backup tarfile to include $PGDATA/pg_xlog at
> >> all, and some good reasons for it not to.
>
> > Seems we should just clear out the /pg_xlog directory before we start
> > recovery.
>
> No, that's a horrid idea, because it loses the ability to combine
> archival xlog files with recent files in /pg_xlog that are not yet
> archived. We need to distinguish old files that were accidentally
> captured by backup from very-recent files. I think the cleanest way to
> do that is for backup not to capture them in the first place.

I am confused. Aren't we always doing a restore from a backup? Are you
saying there are cases where we aren't and need the stuff in pg_xlog?
Are you saying we might have some new WAL files that we want to add to
pg_xlog before we do the restore, like the most recent WAL that wasn't
archived because it wasn't finished? Why would we be doing a recover if
we had such files? I see your point that we wouldn't know which file
to use, the archive version or the pg_xlog version, but actually
wouldn't the archive version always be preferred because we would know
it to be complete.

I don't see any reliable way to prevent people from having pg_xlog in
their backups seeing they might use snapshots, tar, etc.

> > We are going to rename recovery.conf to recovery.in-progress
> > or something to prevent us from clearing out the directory after a
> > crash, right?
>
> I had second thoughts about that and didn't do it in the committed
> patch, though it's certainly still open for debate.

How are we handling a crash during recovery?

> > (I see you rename recovery.conf to recovery.done. Is
> > that wise?
>
> Yes. Once you've done with a PITR recovery you definitely do *not* want
> a subsequent crash recovery to think it should obey your recovery_target
> limit. But if you fail before you've finished the recovery run it
> should theoretically be okay to retry, so I didn't add code to rename to
> "recovery.inprogress". We can certainly add it later if we decide it's
> a good idea.

Ah, OK, so it just keeps going. However, we don't know if what is in
pg_xlog was in the process of being copied from the archive at the time
of the crash, no? In fact I am wondering if we should be transfering
the archive files into temporary names than doing an 'mv' to make them
current so we don't get partial files in pg_xlog. However, we can't do
that because we are using a user-supplied command line. Should we pass
a fake name to the command string then do the 'mv' ourselves. With WAL
now, we do an fsync so we know the contents are crash-proof, but I am
not sure how to do that during recovery. I guess this gets back to how
to handle the contents of pg_xlog during recovery.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us