Re: inheritance question

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Tsirkin Evgeny <tsurkin(at)mail(dot)jct(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inheritance question
Date: 2004-07-19 16:16:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:

> But this way i will touch both the schema AND data
> And what i want is to change the schema ONLY.

The use the ALTER TABLE table* ADD COLUMN syntax to alter
the schema for table and its descendants.

In general, SQL_INHERITANCE=false is primarily there for
applications that were written for older versions of PostgreSQL.
You probably should be using queries that use the ONLY keyword
rather than relying on the guc variable.