Re: Slony-1 in 7.4.3 RPM

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Kaj J(dot)Niemi" <mail(dot)sw(dot)pg(dot)ports(at)spam(dot)fi(dot)basen(dot)net>, <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slony-1 in 7.4.3 RPM
Date: 2004-07-13 21:50:19
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 12:52, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Since Slony I requires a full PostgreSQL source tree against which to
> > build, it makes sense to me to package it together (in a separate
> > subpackage, perhaps) with the main RPM set. HOWEVER, this really
> > isn't ideal due to the lack of synchronism in the release cycles.

> It actually looks fairly trivial make slony independent of the
> PostgreSQL source tree. One just has to copy over the Makefile.shlib
> and dependencies (and adjust the configure script a bit).

Good. That is something I need to mung for the 7.5 -devel subpackage anyway.
If it can be made to build Slony, then it probably can be made to build other
modules.

So I should have said '..Slony wants and full PostgreSQL source tree...' Too
many things _want_ a full source tree. This has been a historic problem, as
you well know.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology