Re: Bad dumps...

From: Stef <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bad dumps...
Date: 2004-07-13 15:07:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom Lane mentioned :
=> This is demonstrably not so. You might have trouble with data coming
=> from somewhere else, if the source doesn't understand the quoting rules
=> for COPY data. But I can dump and restore a table containing '\N' and
=> variants of that without any trouble.

Here's what I did to recreate the problem :
=# create table text_test ( id text NOT NULL);
CREATE TABLE
=# INSERT INTO text_test values ('\\N');
INSERT 37302671 1
=# \q
[root(at)p0 postgres]# pg_dump p0 -U postgres -t text_test > text_test.sql
[root(at)p0 postgres]# psql p0 -U postgres

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

=# drop table text_test ;
DROP TABLE
=# \q
[root(at)p0 postgres]# cat text_test.sql | psql p0 -U postgres
You are now connected as new user postgres.
SET
CREATE TABLE
ERROR: copy: line 1, CopyFrom: Fail to add null value in not null attribute id
lost synchronization with server, resetting connection
[root(at)p0 postgres]#