Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup?

From: Richard A Lough <richard(at)sheugh(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup?
Date: 2004-07-12 07:31:08
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 08:19:22PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> New FAQ added:

I would suggest the following:

<H4><A name="3.11">3.11</A>) What computer hardware should I use?</H4>

<P>PostgreSQL will run on almost any hardware, but if you are building
a server where reliability and performance are concerns, it is wise to
research your hardware options thoroughly. ECC RAM, SCSI, and quality
motherboards have proven to be more reliable and to offer better
performance than less expensive hardware. Where cost of hardware is
your primary concern, proven and frequent backups may provide
reassurance that valued information can be retreived after component
or system failure. With inexpensive hardware there is greater risk of
introducing subtle errors which degrade the credibility of your data.
Our email lists can be used to discuss hardware options and tradeoffs.
</P>

IMHO the guy with cheapo hardware is the one with most need of advice. It
may be prudent to put together some figures to give some notion of a cost
effective backup for him.

Following on from this, I hear that serial ATA drives are likely to
replace IDE drives and will offer performance similar to SCSI.

But, I am still a novice in database matters, just my 2d.

HTH

Richard A Lough