Re: the PostgreSQL Elephant

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the PostgreSQL Elephant
Date: 2004-07-11 22:33:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Marc,

> Note that all of this was discussed *years* ago, before most of you were
> around ... in fact, PostgreSQL, Inc wasn't even formed without it being
> discussed among, and approved by, core ...

Can you forward me the discussion, then?  Because it was definitely a mistake
for the project to adopt the same logo used by PostgreSQL Inc. (since you
folks seem to have been using it first).   Mostly I suspect that nobody was
really thinking about marketing at all in those days.

I think this means that we need to work on a new logo, post-haste.   It's a
little too late for the conventions this summer, but we'll need to change the
logo ASAP after that.

With all respect to Lamar and Jan, the elepant-diamond is not really feasable.
It reproduces poorly at low resolutions or limited color palettes -- heck,
even at high resolution it's a bit muddy.   Frankly, a usable logo has to be
draw-able on a cocktail napkin with a ball-point pen, or people will ignore
it.  Also, what would we be *saying* with an elephant in a diamond?

Ideas, anyone?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions