Re: Two Flyers

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org,"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Two Flyers
Date: 2004-07-07 20:15:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Marc, Greg, Elein,

> Are you saying that you do not want the flyers I created
> at the PostgreSQL booth, representing PostgreSQL, at
> OSCON?
>
> Only because I'm using the slony elephant instead
> of the other one?

Hey!  Let's not get carried away here.   We *do* have bigger PR concerns than
elephant designs -- at least we'll *have* flyers this year.   And a table.

I'd love to have everyone take a deep breath and count to 10^31-1.   We are
all interesting in promoting PostgreSQL.   We are all working hard on making
PostgreSQL flourish.

Elein, I *will* ask you not to use the Slony elephant.   The reason is that
we're going to be doing a bunch of talking up Slony at OSCON -- distributing
it on CDs and a brochure, for example -- and use of the Slony elephant on a
general brochure about PostgreSQL could confuse people, such as making them
think that PostgreSQL itself is sponsored by Afilias instead of just Slony.

It would be nice to have the "blue elephant" on everything -- we'll have it on
144 t-shirts, for one thing -- for consistency, but it's not absolutel
yessential.   While the "blue elephant" is our current de facto logo, no
PostgreSQL community forum has ever taken a vote on it.   Something we should
discuss, really; it's not the only elephant design we have, and both Cornelia
and Gavin have submitted significant variations.

It's more important to have the flyers, in my opinion, than to have the
"right" elephant.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions