Re: [JDBC] Error in DatabaseMetaData.getColumns() with Views

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: "Dario V(dot) Fassi" <software(at)sistemat(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Error in DatabaseMetaData.getColumns() with Views
Date: 2004-07-05 01:41:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-jdbc pgsql-patches pgsql-sql

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Dario V. Fassi wrote:

> Stephan, look at the samples I send in previous posts , from PgSql and Db2.

I don't see any samples apart from the original view descriptions and the
getColumns results. I see some implication about db2 but no details. My
guess is that the messages are more recent than the last archives update
and since I'm not on -jdbc I wouldn't have seen them. That's pretty much
why I asked.

> I know it's a no ease task to change all that behavior , but you must
> agree that a Numeric column with the fractional part varing from row to
> row are different data types and break relational rules.

Maybe, but without seeing the example, it's hard to say. For example,
your views from the head of what I see for this on archives, consistently
give me output with a scale of 3.

In addition, PostgreSQL provides a numeric with effectively undefined
precision and scale. This is a non-conforming definition, but means that
while the number of digits after the decimal are different, it's the same
type, numeric with undefined precision and scale.