Re: Possible bug?

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Ilir Gashi <I(dot)Gashi(at)city(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible bug?
Date: 2004-07-01 19:42:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Ilir Gashi wrote:

> I saw this 'bug' reported in the Firebird SourceForge website for the
> Firebird 1.0 server. They confirmed it as a bug! I tried it in PostgreSQL
> 7.2 (I know its an old release but I do not have a newer version installed,
> and in any case I am only using the server for reserach purposes).
> PostgreSQL returns no rows for either of the queries. Of course this is the
> case since the attributes F1 and F2 of Table T1 are of type Char whereas
> the select query is making the test with an integer value. Is this the
> intended behaviour?

Technically speaking, I believe the queries are simply invalid without the
presence of casts from the spec's standpoint.

Theoretically, I'd either expect both to give 0 rows (convert 3 into a
string and compare) or both to give 1 row (convert '003' to an integer and
compare) if it didn't error.

What does Oracle do if you insert a value like 'XXX' into the column?