FULL JOIN and mergjoinable conditions...

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Postgresql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: FULL JOIN and mergjoinable conditions...
Date: 2004-06-30 01:13:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Today I got the error:

ERROR: FULL JOIN is only supported with mergejoinable join conditions

Which is really annoying since a full join is exactly what I wanted. I
guess the alternative is to do a left join and a right join and merge
them? Is it just that no-one has come up with a way to code this
efficiently?

Maybe someone has a better way to express this. The problem is I have
two tables with ranges and I wanted to generate a result with the
overlaps and blanks where there are things missed. For example:

Table A Table B
Tag Start End Tag Start End
A 1 2 A 2 7
B 6 9 B 9 9
C 10 12 C 13 15

So the query looks like:

SELECT * from A full outer join B on (a.end >= b.start and b.end >= a.start)

The result would be something like:

A 1 2 A 2 7
B 6 9 A 2 7
B 6 9 B 9 9