Re: Default libpq service

From: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Default libpq service
Date: 2004-06-29 21:31:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 09:46:34PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> A while ago it was speculated that it might be nice to have a default
> service in libpq's pg_service.conf file that would supply missing
> connection parameters if none are specified elsewhere, so users could,
> say, set the default server host in a configuration file instead of
> environment variables.
>
> The precendence would be like this: explicit specification, service (if
> explicitly specified), environment, (new: ) default service,
> compiled-in default (e.g., for port). (Or maybe the default service
> before the environment?)
>
> Comments? Better ideas?

Only problem that springs to mind is that you probably wouldn't want a
default password in a world-readable /etc/ file, but you can't stop a
determined fool anyway.

I know it would make my life a little easier, so yeah, go for it. This
was proposed for libpqxx a long time ago, but I felt it belonged more at
the libpq level.

Jeroen

PS - Nette Witmung, danke :)