Re: About inheritance

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>,Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Diogo Biazus <diogob(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About inheritance
Date: 2004-06-30 03:53:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Guys,

> > I wonder why it doesn't just get ripped out?

Mostly because some people use it and in its current form it's not at all hard
to maintain from version to version.

> I hope not -- I think the underlying infrastructure could become the
> basis of table partitioning. I have a project going on right now in
> which we're porting ~700GB of data (forecast to become multi-TB over the
> next year or so) from partitioned vendor-O tables to inherited Postgres
> tables.

Hmmmm .... I don't think that there's much in inheritance that would work for
paritioned tables, but you know the code better than me, Joe.

Any chance your boss would fund a table partitioning patch?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions