UPDATE ... WHERE (subselect on the same table)

From: "Alexander M(dot) Pravking" <fduch(at)antar(dot)bryansk(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: UPDATE ... WHERE (subselect on the same table)
Date: 2004-06-29 16:17:42
Lists: pgsql-sql

I was looking for how can I give an alias for the table being updated
(something like UPDATE table_name table_alias SET ...), but the current
syntax doesn't allow that.

What I need is to:

fduch=# SELECT * from test order by typ, name;
typ | name | x
-----+------+---
1 | bar |
1 | baz |
1 | foo |
2 | baz |
2 | foo |
(5 rows)

fduch=# UPDATE test SET x = 't'
fduch-# where typ = 1 and exists (
fduch(# SELECT 1 from test t2
fduch(# where t2.typ = 2 and t2.name = test.name
fduch(# );
UPDATE 2
fduch=# SELECT * from test order by typ, name;
typ | name | x
-----+------+---
1 | bar |
1 | baz | t
1 | foo | t
2 | baz |
2 | foo |
(5 rows)

So I have two questions:
Q1, cognitive. Why the alias for the updated table is restricted?
Is there any reason for that or it's just not implemented?

Q2, vital. Can I be sure that the syntax I used here will work
correctly, i.e. will the "test.name" always refer the column in outer
table, not inner (t2)?

Thanks in advance.

--
Fduch M. Pravking