Re: feature request ?

From: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, sad <sad(at)bankir(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: feature request ?
Date: 2004-06-24 17:32:59
Lists: pgsql-sql
Hi all,

Tri-valued boolean?? that's not against boolean concept?? i'm not saying that SQL is wrong nor Postgresql has to go beyond standard, i'm just trying to understand this stuff.

Why not disallow the ability of boolean fields to be null?

thanx in advance,

Jaime Casanova

Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com> wrote:
On Jun 24, 2004, at 6:39 PM, sad wrote:

> ...IF ELSEIF ELSE
> it's all clear
> but what about unequality of BOOL type possible value set and IF
> alternatives
> set

In my opinion the short answer is NULL is here because of the SQL
standard. The SQL standard does not specify any kind of "IF
alternative" for 3-valued logic afaik. Why should PostgreSQL go beyond
what the standard specifies in this hairy area? Three-valued logic is
something I strive to stay away from to the best of my ability, as it
is far too complicated for my feeble mind.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster