Re: Design Strategy WAS: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity:VbulletinForum

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Design Strategy WAS: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity:VbulletinForum
Date: 2004-06-25 00:00:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Christopher,

> Well, SAP has pretty consistently tried to apply this strategy to
> their R/3 application, which is _not_ a "limited class of web
> applications."

Aha. The key word there is "suitable". I've supported some SAP-type
applications, and they are messes of spaghetti code that underperform their
hardware by a factor of 10. As well as having chronic data integrity
problems that pretty much require an on-staff application expert just to keep
the thing running.

So I find SAP an excellent example of how *not* to write an application,
unless your goal is to maximize your support revenue.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions