Re: 7.5-dev, pg_dumpall, dollarquoting

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.5-dev, pg_dumpall, dollarquoting
Date: 2004-06-24 16:34:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Chris,

> Nothing gets silently dropped.  It will cause an ERROR on creation and
> then keep going, but it won't silently drop it...   (unless it's a
> binary dump thing...)

Silently dropped on dump, not on restore.

> Anyway, pg_dump in CVS does correct dump ordering based on a topological
> sort of the pg_depend relation (thank Tom for that).  It will of course
> only work on a 7.3 or higher backend.

Right.   The issue is really complex databases which were developed in 7.2 or
7.1, which is missing the pg_depends information.    In that case, pg_dump
seems to get confused about dependency sorting, and a few objects with long
dependency chains simply don't get backed up.

I'll see if I can put together a nice demo for this.

My concern in reporting this is that there are still a lot of commercial users
out there running 7.2, and I'd like to minimize upgrade pain.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions