Re: nested xacts and phantom Xids

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: nested xacts and phantom Xids
Date: 2004-06-24 01:05:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:57:11AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am sorry to have given Alvaro another idea that didn't work.

It allowed me to learn a lot of cool tricks, so it wasn't wasted work.
The only think I'm sorry about is that I should have used the time for
something more useful, like tackling the remaining problems in the
nested xacts implementation proper.

> However, thinking of options, I wonder if instead of phantom xids, we
> should do phantom cids. Because only the local backend looks at the
> command counter (cid). I think it might be alot cleaner. The phantom
> cid would have a tuple bit set indicating that instead of being a cid,
> it is an index into an array of cmin/cmax pairs.

Yeah, maybe this can work. I'm not going to try however, at least not
now. If somebody else wants to try, be my guest.

"El conflicto es el camino real hacia la unión"