Re: BUG #1164: Informix compatibility ecpg

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: John Smith <john(at)roundel(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1164: Informix compatibility ecpg
Date: 2004-06-22 06:42:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 08:08:37PM -0300, PostgreSQL Bugs List wrote:
> In Informix ESQL/C, columns can be defined using the same string that's used
> to describe the field when describing the table. Hence "integer" will work
> in esql, but not in ecpg.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. You mean you cannot use
something like this:

create table test (integer integer);

in ecpg?

Well that one works for me.

> Informix treats the single and double quote as synonyms in SELECT
> statements. Thus
> ... WHERE countries.country_code = "UK"
> is valid in Informix, but in PostgreSQL needs to be re-written as
> ... WHERE countries.country_code = 'UK'.
> The error message for this is not obvious to a programmer brought up on
> informix, as it refers to a column called "UK" that does not exist.

Virtually no chance here. Changing this would mean some major work on
the lexer to not break SQL compatibility in non-compatibility mode.

> A SELECT from a NULL field in Informix is trapped using the Informix call
> "risnull()". Although this function is provided with ecpg, null values were
> not successfully trapped, and I had to resort to using the PostgreSQL
> standard indicator variables. I can supply more details on this one on
> request, as it's C code that probably doesn't belong here.

This seems to be a bug. Could you please send me a test case? I have no
Informix myself so I need to know how Informix reacts to this test case.

Also, you know that you hve to specify "-r no_indicator" for this to
work I assume.

> Generally though, I've been unable to find any documentation on the
> Informix-compatibility mode.

Unfortunately this is so very true.

Michael
--