Re: New News Entry

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New News Entry
Date: 2004-06-18 22:38:49
Lists: pgsql-www
Folks,

My personal opinion on policy:

For software (or hardware) which is not PostgreSQL community, but is "useful"
or "newsy" as we define it, we announce it when it either
	1) goes production for the first time,
	2) supports postgresql for the first time
and never post news about that particular piece of software again unless
there's a compelling reason to make an exception.

For software which is PostgreSQL community, we allow announcements when it:
	1) is created as a project;
	2) first goes beta (if it needs testers);
	3) first goes production;
	4) achieves a major (e.g. 2.0) version milestone
but leave it up to the project admin what they want to try and post.

agreement/disagreement/rude noises?

I simply can't see any circumstance under which we would want to post
individual beta releases on the main page.   Heck, we don't do that for
PostgreSQL itself ... one beta or RC version, and that's it.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions