Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity: Vbulletin Forum

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Donnacha Mac Gloinn" <postgresql(dot)org(at)donnacha(dot)com>,"pgsql-advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity: Vbulletin Forum
Date: 2004-06-17 17:44:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Donnacha,

> You're quite right, they HAVE heavily optimized their application to
> handle MySQL's foibles, they don't use an abstraction layer, a PgSQL
> edition of vB would involve a major rewrite, I don't know why inserts
> are a particularly huge issue for them but I will ask them to clarify
> their position.

My personal conjecture:

The "extended insert" is not on the Postgres TODO list because:
a) It's not ANSI SQL standard.
b) We have COPY, which is better.

So given their raising that ridiculously small point, as well as their
flippant answer on MySQL licensing, I don't think the arguments they are
advancing are real.   They are excuses for not switching to *anything* else,
because the vbulletin developers don't know, and don't want to learn,
anything new, and *certainly* don't want to re-write their whole application
to utilize an abstraction layer.   I would bet you that the folks advocating
Oracle will meet with a similar stonewall.

Which is their perogative, it's their application.   The reason I bring this
up with you is that I'd rather not see *you* beat your head against a wall.

From my perspective, this situation sounds exactly like that of Compiere,
where the project leads have found excuses for 4 years not to work on
compatibility with other databases.   In PostgreSQL's case, it was lack of
nested transactions.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions