Re: Search engine is not working

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Search engine is not working
Date: 2004-06-15 23:37:33
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 08:30:56PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Dave Page wrote:
>
> >That's because they're currently running on different backend databases.
> >The one on www is using John's server as the search daemon. The one on
> >archives is using search.postgresql.org (which just can't seem to keep
> >up with the indexing. It's on my todo list to move archives over to
> >John's box as well (which despite being on the end of a bit of a damp
> >piece of string somewhere in the Aussie outback, seems to work quite
> >well :-) )
>
> I sent a 'report' of sorts to -core already on this, but pending a wire
> transfer tomorrow, we are ordering a Dual-Athlon server for the network as
> soon as it arrives ... at the same time, we are also upgrading our network
> switch from an unmanaged Linksys 10/100 switch to a Managed Dell Procurve
> 10/100 one to fix some network issues ...

Three cheers for Marc!!!

> ... most of the hardware is being picked up in Panama, but the
> motherboard/RAM are being picked up up here (MB is easier to get,
> and RAM is about half the cost) ... so there will be some delay on
> getting the MB in and ship'd down ... but this at least shines a
> light at the end of the tunnel ...
>
> Nobody on this list happens to work for a hardware supplier, do
> they?

I am awaiting results on a purchase of some bumpin' hardware loaded
with FreeBSD and PostgreSQL. Things look very promising from this
source, but until I've got it burned in, it's premature to say.

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100 mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!