Re: @#$%^& Access and PostgreSQL

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: @#$%^& Access and PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-06-15 15:16:59
Lists: pgsql-odbc
--- Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> > Short story.  Pg 7.2 running on a Linux box.  MS
> Access 2000 on WinXP Pro.
> > I can query and fiddle with the data in Access but
> I haven't figured out
> > how to get the changes back into Pg.
>

> > Quick; please someone hit me with a cluestick!  Or
> if it's too far to
> > reach is there a tutorial on using MS Access and
> Pg together?
>
> It's been a long time since I've messed with
> MSAccess/pgsql, but IIRC,
> you need to be sure your table has a primary key
> defined to get a
> writeable recordset. Also, make sure the linked
> table on the Access side
> reflects that.

Good points: always refresh (or relink) your linked
tables after making changes to tables on the server
side; also, I find life becomes much easier with
Access when I use a serial primary key on every table
as a matter of course.

Have you created your tables without oid's?  I believe
that could cause you a problem, because the ODBC
driver expects oid's in some circumstances.  In any
case, I suggest you set the "row versioning" driver
setting to true.

The suggestion elsewhere to turn on logging, on both
client and server sides, is a good one.