Re: Source name not found

From: Mike G <mike(at)thegodshalls(dot)com>
To: - Barry - <mail(at)polisource(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Source name not found
Date: 2004-06-14 05:01:49
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

> I tried replacing "DSN" with "Postgresql" and "PostgreSQL" and I got the
> same error. I don't remember doing anything with any control panel, and I
> don't know where to find the proper DSN. I see now that if I searched the
> DBI module documentation for "environment" rather then "environmental" I
> would have learned which environmental variable to set, but I still wouldn't
> know what to set it with.

Ok, I would guess that the Perl module looks for an existing odbc connection that existed on that same client. Did you install the postgresql odbc driver on the pc you are trying to connect from? That is where the DSN name would come from. For ODBC a connection must be created on each client. It can be manually done through the control panel. You could try connecting to the db through another program like MS Access which would use an ODBC connection. Then you would know it is a problem with the Perl ODBC module for sure. I don't know if the driver is included in the perl odbc module for windows. I installed the postgres odbc driver from gborg well before using the Perl modules.

Things have changed a bit from 7.3.4 which is the link mentioned below. The default install from cygwin has been 7.4.1 for a while. 7.4.2 was just released in cygwin. I haven't tried to upgrade from .1 yet.....

Mysql has it's own plusses and minuses. Can't answer which one would be better for your situation. Sorry.

Mike

In a few months a native windows version of Postgresql will be available so if you really want to avoid cygwin and can wait a bit that would be an option.