Locking Question

From: Terry Lee Tucker <terry(at)esc1(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Locking Question
Date: 2004-06-10 18:09:13
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Good Day,

I'm working on a transportation application which is written in C using
X-Windows. I've been experiementing with various methods for row level
locking. This application will be used by about 70 people at once with many
updates occurring to much of the data. At present, I'm looking at serialized
transactions. I have discovered that if the interface runs into a record that
is currently being updated with a SELECT FOR UPDATE, it sits and waits. I'm
looking for a way to get feedback to the user. I'm executing the SELECT FOR
UPDATE with a PQexec. PQexec blocks and waits. If I use PQsendQuery to
execute the statement, will I be able to get some sort of feed back from that
as to what is going on?
--
Quote: 35
"Losing [the debate about marriage] means losing marriage as a social

--Maggie Gallagher

Work: 1-336-372-6812
Cell: 1-336-363-4719
email: terry(at)esc1(dot)com