SQL Query and SET commands

From: Chris Gamache <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL Query and SET commands
Date: 2004-06-10 14:06:56
Lists: pgadmin-support

PgAdmin III v1.1.0 devel March 31 2004 :

How do SET commands work within the SQL Query windows? Are they set for the
entire connection duration, or just the window-life, or just the query?

I'm doing some work with schema that requires me to alter the search path. I'm
experiencing SET varialbe carryover. I can set the search path, and run an
"EXPLAIN" on a different query that behaves the way that it should when the
search path is set properly. But! I want to be certain of the behavior so that
I don't do something harmful like dropping a table from one schema that exists
with the same name in another becuase the SET search_path had reverted...

CG