Re: [HACKERS] [GENERAL] The pgreplication project

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [GENERAL] The pgreplication project
Date: 2004-06-09 03:58:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
Bruce,

> I assumed the top-5 projects are dynamic based on the amount of
> activity, not hardcoded as they seem to be.

Well, this is the issue ... they are not hardcoded, but they are based
entirely on the number of page views, and not other forms of activity.  this
includes page views referred from the "top 5 list" itself ... which means
that once you're in the top 5, it tends to be self-perpetuating.  Chris has
been attacking this manually by re-setting the counter every month.

I'm not sure that pgFoundry solves that problem.   The issue is that
"activity" *should* be the count of:
cvs check-ins and check-outs
mailing list posts
forum posts
news items
downloads
bug reports

The problem is that pgFoundry does not have any meaningful way to measure most
of the above; it's somewhat disconnected from the mailman archives, and only
acts as a gateway to CVS.  Downloads are frequently mirrored.   I think Chris
is in the same bind with GBorg.

I will dig into the GForge code for "top projects" to see how it does work,
though, when I have a chance.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions