Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt(at)metux(dot)de>
To: postgresql advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?
Date: 2004-06-03 21:35:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
* Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

<snip>
> There is only one production and shipping replication that does not
> require triggers that I know of and that is ours (Command Prompt).
> It is also not a userland app but actually part of the PostgreSQL engine.
Ah. Has pgsql to be patched for that or can it be simply dropped-in
like external (C) functions/procedures ?

What about lazy replication (i.e. when some node is running but not
online for a while), masterless replication (all nodes are equal)
or journaling ?
My application/framework-level solves this, but
a) requires some special table layout (first attrs have to be inode+mtime),
b) not suited for high update-rates (relly too slow for that)
but it is already working quite stable for several years :)

<snip>
> Each solution has pro's and cons. Slony-I for example appears to be
> better when doing mass updates or deletes than Replicator.
yeah, on subsequent mass-updates on just one host per table at certain time,
my stuff is also good, since it works w/ batching. but when multiple hosts
do heavy updates on the same table, it may run into conflicts.

<snip>
> On the argument of significant features for 7.5:
>
> Win32 Native
> PITR
Stupid question: whats PITR ?
> Nested Transactions
> Background Writer....
Background-Write = write-behind ?

BTW: how stable is the current pgsql against powerfails or kill -9 ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact(at)metux(dot)de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481