Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt(at)metux(dot)de>
To: postgresql advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8
Date: 2004-06-03 20:43:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

* Markus Bertheau <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de> wrote:

<snip>
> > yes, I know, but what if I add later on a user to the system? Giving
> > permissions to that user and create a database for it is not an easy
> > task for 'normal' desktop users.
>
> The daemon can handle that, too.

You can also easily setup userland installations. (userland:=normal user)
Both GNOME and KDE tend to start many userland deamons (i.e. for
the virtual filesystem). Assuming normal workstations only have one
concurrent desktop user, having another postmaster running shouldn't
be such a mess.

But for such use-cases you'll probably dont need many of pgsql's
features, i.e. rules, triggers, stored procedures, etc, so a really
lightweight RDBMS would probably perform better here.

cu
Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service

phone: +49 36207 519931 www: http://www.metux.de/
fax: +49 36207 519932 email: contact(at)metux(dot)de
cellphone: +49 174 7066481